🔎

• 4

• 1066

A question about a recipe: Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Red Onion, Lemon and Pecorino

I have a question about the recipe "Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Red Onion, Lemon and Pecorino" from merrill.

Would sliced scallions be a reasonable substitute for the red onion? Really want to make this and don't have all the ingredients.

5155770942_82132135ce_z
nutcakes added about 2 years ago

Although I see that the red onion would be really special in this I think you will get the general idea of the dis using (unsoaked) finely sliced green onion. Sounds great,

Instagram1
sstiavetti added about 2 years ago

You could use it. It would be a somewhat different dish, but it would likely taste just fine. (maybe better, depending on your personal preferences)

Veronica3 added about 2 years ago

I'll would sub shallots for the red onion, but if you don't have them use the green onions and report back.

kbehroozi added about 2 years ago

Thanks! Used green onions, oniony flavor definitely wasn't as strong as I think it could have been but it worked on the whole.

Also added sliced toasted almonds—which I highly recommend.

Finally, my lemon produced a lot of juice and the balance of the dressing didn't seem quite right. Wondering if a volume (e.g. 2 T) might be better than just "juice of one lemon"?

But I'm quibbling. This dish was awesome and we gobbled it up!