🔕 🔔

Home canned Caramelized Onion Jam with Balsamic Vinegar

I regularly can jams and jellies; doing so does not require the hot bath canning method. I recently canned some Caramelized Onion Jam with Balsamic Vinegar the same way I would a jam or jelly (namely, putting the hot mixture in the hot jars, tightly sealing and letting cool upside down. All seemed to seal, as -- after cooling -- the tops didn't flex) but now I'm worrying. Knowing that nasty food poisoning (can you say botulism?) can occur with improperly canned foods. Is there any reason why Caramelized Onion Jam with Balsamic Vinegar (vinegar for flavoring; it isn't drenched) shouldn't be canned the same way as more traditional fruit jams and jellies?

asked by SeaJambon about 4 years ago
8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

I can a lot also. Onions are low-acid, unlike the fruits you use for your jams and jellys. Recipes I have seen for Carmelized Onion Jam include the instructions to use a water bath canner. Recipes for simply canning onions call for a pressure canner. Another important aspect is how much vinegar is added. Too low, botulism.

Given the low acidity of onions, I would not risk eating them the way you preserved them.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

Thank you SKK -- please go do something to celebrate saving a few lives today. I have given some out, but will immediately recall them. I had a "back of mind" nagging worry -- guess the real answer is the old "better safe than sorry"! :) [guess it is a good thing I didn't send any to my Food52 Secret Santa recipient!] ;)

In my view, you should salute yourself for listening to your worry in the background and asking the question rather than pushing it aside.