🔔
🔎

What is the easiest way to poach eggs? Mine go terribly wrong everytime

asked by @crowebar1985 almost 4 years ago
1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

In a saute pan, nonstick preferable, add cold water, put on medium heat. Add 1 tsp white vinegar. When at a bare simmer (160-170 deg F), add in eggs one at a time. Allow to poach at bare simmer for about 7 minutes. Pull one at a time and pat dry with a paper towel. If reserving, place in ice water immediately.

A relatively tall pot works best. Allow 4 cups water to 1/4 cup white vinegar. Bring to a simmer. Break your eggs one at a time and slide each onto a saucer or small bowl. Carefully slip them into simmering water. I prefer a runny yolk so 3 minutes max. Using a taller vessel encourages the whites to fold up over themselves. Serve over toast or an english muffin.

Face_of_world_food

This is the CUTEST description I've ever seen, with a new technique I'll try the next time I poach and egg.

Thumb_egg_poaching

Swimming_with_the_dolphins

The two tried and true ways I know are
1. Conventional- I use the poached egg cups that come as part of a poaching set, but instead of the accompanying pan I use a small stainless steel fry pan. I coat the cup with butter. I bring water to a boil in the fry pan. I break the egg into the cup then place it into the boiling water. Then let it cook to the consitancy you want. With this process you can visually see and decide when it is to your liking.
2. The non-conventional way or if you don't have the cup that comes with a poacher...then you can take a cappacino size coffee cup ( or squat cup), buttering the bottom and sides and break egg into it then submerge into boiling water so that it does not boil over into the cup but is the equivalent height on the outside to where the egg level is on the inside. Thus a coffee cup in a saucepan works just fine.

Cappuccino_cup