Need a tried and true stuffing-inside-the-bird using homemade cornbread.
i do a cornbread stuffing with sausage and apples. Some is cooked in the bird, but most, because the recipe makes a lot (this will serve about 12-15 as a side dish along with all the other sides) goes into a casserole dish and is baked while the turkey gets its pre-carve rest.
The recipe is not exact, but goes something like this:
1 recipe cornbread (i use the recipe on the Albers box)
2-3 loaves unsliced white bread
1 stick unsalted butter
about 4 stalks celery, chopped
2-3 apples (use whatever you like), peeled and chopped
1 large, or 2 small, onions, chopped
Several fresh sage leaves, chopped
About a 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
About 1/2 pound (more if you like) sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings and browned
About two cups (maybe a bit more) low-salt chicken stock
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2) Cut cornbread into cubes and spread on baking sheet. Cut white bread into cubes and spread on baking sheet. Place bread cubes in oven and bake until dried out and slightly brown. Set aside.
3) In large skillet melt butter. Saute onions and celery until onion is translucent, about ten minutes. Add apples to skillet and saute until just beginning to soften. Toss in sage and parsley, then add the browned sausage. Mix well.
4) Add dried corn and white bread cubes to skillet. Stir everything together. Begin adding chicken stock until you get the level of moisture you like.
5) Loosely stuff some of the mixture into your bird. Place the rest in a casserole and dot with more butter.
6) When the bird is done, place casserole in oven (about 350 degrees) for 30 minutes, until heated through and browned on top.
Hope this works. It's always a big hit with our group. Also, you can pretty much tailor this to your liking. If you like more sage, by all means add more. More apple? No Sausage? Whatever.
Thanks - I should have specified that I have a good corn bread recipe, but you reminded me that I have fresh sage in the garden - thanks much for all.
Please enter a valid email address.
Well played. You deserve a cookie.
Small but mighty
3-Ingredient Chocolate Genius
New Pink Dinnerware
Pre-Order Our New Cookbook
prevented successful signup:
We'll never post anything without your permission.
prevented successful login:
Thanks for signing up!
Connect with us to get more Food52!
Sign up for our useful, inspired emails and we'll
give you everything you need to eat and live better—including
recipes, how-tos, and exclusives and great gift ideas from our
kitchen and home shop.