Substitute for pomegranate?

My wife just started a dish that requires pomegranate (the one on the cover of Plenty). I ran out to get the pomegranate and after going to 3 produce markets found out heir out of season. Does anyone know of a proper substitute or should we forego?

asked by rickyferrer over 2 years ago

I don't think there is a great substitute for pomegranate seeds. If you have preserved lemons on hand, dicing those up and scattering them on top might be a nice touch. The other idea I have is to buy pomegranate juice, reduce it on the stove over low heat until it's syrupy, and drizzle that on top. The to get a nice contrast of textures, you can sprinkle some pine nuts or toasted almonds on top. I happen to think Plenty is a book that allows for plenty of experimentation.

I am not familiar with the recipe you are trying to make, but I just came back from Trader Joe's where they have some already removed from the skin in a plastic container if you live close to one. Good luck!

I booked it to trader joes on bike and made it back before the eggplant was out of the oven. Thanks!