🔎

ice cream maker

Has anyone tried the ice cream maker attachment for the Kitchen Aid stand mixer? If so, what did you think? Worth it?

Kroka_kitchen
Hussie-icons_chl
chl0525 added about 2 years ago

My friend has that and she loves it. I kind of wish I had it instead of my Cuisinart just because it's less stuff to store.

gary12401 added about 2 years ago

I like mine, it doesn't make a lot but it works well. A couple tips, freeze it for several days before you use it and freeze all parts together or the stirring part won't fit in the bowl. It does take up a lot of room in the freezer.

Melusine added about 2 years ago

Short answer -- yes, it's worth it. I taught The Friend how to make a custard last spring, and since then, he's perfected both coffee and strawberry ice cream, and is working on swirling carmel sauce into an intense vanilla ice cream. Since the top of the KA attachment is open, it's not all that difficult. Since we live outside of the US, a rich, well-flavored home made ice cream is always a hit, so we might be a bit more enthusiastic than if Ben and Jerry's was always available. The attachment lives in the freezer so we don't have to pre-plan too much, but yes, it's bulky.

Melusine added about 2 years ago

Hussie-icons_chl
chl0525 added about 2 years ago

Yes! Store in the freezer. I clean my bowl after each use and seal it with Press and Seal, then stick it in the bottom of my chest freezer.

Kroka_kitchen
maryvelasquez added about 2 years ago

Thank you all for the recommendations. I'm going to check it out.

Sarah_chef

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

My only suggestion is to base this on available storage space - you can save $30 or so by going with a standard Cuisinart ice cream maker instead of the KA attachment.

They use the Cuisinart version in many professional kitchens.