🔎

• 5

• 3355

• See other questions tagged:
    • roux

Can you make a properly browned roux with rice flour?

Pengyew is shooting for a gluten-free gumbo. The fat is in the pot.

Screen_shot_2011-11-25_at_5.07.03_pm
Gator_cake

I've seen recipes that call for white rice flour or sweet rice flour. Some do talk about getting the roux dark. I suspect the brown rice flour will work, but haven't tried it.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm
beyondcelery added about 2 years ago

Sweet rice flour works best for me, but I've never tried to get it to be well-browned, just a bit browned. Sweet rice flour thickens well and doesn't clump up as readily as regular wheat flour. I usually use slightly less sweet rice flour than usual and more fat than the recipe calls for. Other rice flours don't thicken as well as sweet rice flour--you're more likely to end up with a gritty mush.

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added about 2 years ago

bc, does sweet rice flour make for a gritty roux? thx much for this education; v helpful! best, mindy

rt21 added about 2 years ago

I have used potato starch, I was making chicken pot pie and it had to be gluten free

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm
beyondcelery added about 2 years ago

@le bec fin: I haven't found my roux to be gritty with sweet rice flour. It's very finely ground, which helps to keep that from happening. It's almost as fine as a starch. Brown rice flour is coarse in comparison. I'm glad it helped!