THE FOOD52 COMMUNITY IS NOW 1 MILLION STRONG! READ MORE »

Can I make yogurt from almond milk?

asked by Elaine Ruth about 4 years ago
120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

You can make yogurt from soy milk, so I would imagine you could do the same with almond milk. However, you'll need a starter culture of some kind. For regular yogurt, this would come from using a few tablespoons of yogurt containing active cultures. You could probably buy some plain, non-dairy yogurt with active cultures and produce the same result. You could also use a powdered yogurt starter ( I get mine from www.cheesemaking.com ). I have never actually tried making almond milk yogurt, though, so I'm not sure of the particulars. With dairy yogurt, you heat the milk to 180 degrees, cool it to about 118 degrees, add the cultures, and insulate it for 8 to 10 hours until it thickens. I have something called a Yogotherm, which I love--it uses no electricity. You can also use a small cooler and fill it with towels and a heating pad; OR a warm (but not hot) oven. I've even heard of people sleeping with their jar of cultured milk to get it to set. I guess the incubation method depends on the creativity of the yogurt-maker.

One of the almond milk brands (diamond maybe) makes an almond milk yogurt, so it's doable. I just don't know how to do it.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

A possible work around for this: Open a capsule of a good non-dairy probiotic blend to use as a starter. This would provide the beneficial organisms, as dairy yogurt does (unless it's pasturized, which kills them). Also add some agar-agar, a seaweed that has a gelling effect for the body that you want. Use the procedure that petitbleu gave above.