Fresh ricotta - off?

I have some fresh ricotta that I purchased on Sunday. I ate some of it today when I was in a hurry, and it tasted more or less normal, but when I got it out to make gnocchi I noticed that it was smelling more yogurty and kind of sweeter than I remembered it. Thoughts on this? Would you still cook with it? My google search was inconclusive.

asked by LucyS over 2 years ago
Dsc_0048b

I find that fresh ricotta has to be used within three or four days of purchase to maintain that really fresh taste. I am completely guessing here that it is not yet bad enough to harm you, but if it smells a little sour, I don't use it anymore.

Waffle3

Could be you just have benign yeast and / or bacteria growing in there, but could also be something bad. Conditions that allow food spoilage bacteria to grow also allow nasty things to grow (the ones you can't smell or taste). Bottom line: "When in doubt, throw it out."

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet