🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

What is asafetida

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 2 years ago

It's a powder we use in Indian food. Gives a certain tang....somewhat lemony but not as acidic. when using, use a very light hand.

Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

It is a resin powder and has a *very* particular taste. Use only 1/8 of a teaspoon, if that, in most dishes and in most recipes you can leave it out completely. Raw it's rather unpleasant to smell, once cooked it's slightly garlicky.

It is also known as hing and is used in Ayurvedic medicine as a digestive.

08270410avatar_messbrasil

I've never heard of it but the question caught my atention because "asa fétida" in Portuguese means "stinky wing".I thought I'd check the "joke" and ended up learning something new...

Dsc_0122.nef-1

Its the dried powdered form of a resin obtained from a variety of the fennel plant. As its name suggests, the aroma of the raw spice is practically fetid, extremely acrid. Its sold either as whole bricks which can be pinched off & used as needed (the texture of the block ranges from leathery to just plain rock hard), either by dissolving in water or microwaving it to a puffed up ball which can later be grated into a dish.
Its mostly used as a powdered spice though. As terrible as it smells raw, the minute you add (just a pinch, NEVER more) it to hot oil, the spice odor transforms into a delightlful onion/garlic aroma.
Its extensively used in Indian cuisine, particularly in regional religious dishes where onions & garlic are prohibited.