Self-clean oven procedure, help! Typical cool-down time?

My husband decided to run the oven self-clean process without researching, just winging it. After it ran for 3 hours he tried to open the oven (I am guessing it was supposed to go through a cool-down period) and it wouldn't open, thank goodness. The oven started buzzing an alarm and blinking an F2 error code which I looked up - it means "the oven is hot." So he shut off the power to the oven. I say we just leave the power off, let it cool off. I said DO NOT OPEN. He is calling a repair service now. It is a Magic Chef that is over ten years old. Any thoughts of what the best course of action is from this point?

asked by Sadassa_Ulna over 2 years ago

Unfortunately, you might want to start shopping for a new oven. Alternatively, invest in some oven cleaner because you may be cleaning the old-fashioned way from now on. Mine did the same thing. After the Oven Locked light had been lit for approximately 36 hours, which I figured was probably long enough for the thing to have cooled down, I called for a repair. The service person wound up having to literally sever the locking arm in order to release it. I needed a new oven anyway.

Jc_profilepic

When he said he was calling the 24-hour repair service I mentioned I would rather put that cost toward a new oven than pay whatever crazy amount for someone to come out on a Saturday night!
Ironically this is the first time we ran the self-clean procedure since we bought the house 13 years ago.
Sorry you had to go through that and thanks for the warning...

Jc_profilepic

Sam1148 I love the vulcan nerve pinch description. Thank you for the suggestions for finding reset codes and secret hiding places for tech spec sheet.

Next time you're at a Asian market. Get one of those table top gas burners. My range is a flat top electric and I use mine for Wok cooking all the time as it fits my round bottom wok perfectly. They're pretty cheep about 20-30 bucks. And the canister are cheep; little LP gas canisters made for table top grills...about 7 bucks for 3 canisters--which last about 45 mins each on high.
That thing has saved me more than once during ice storms, power outages, picnics, and camping.
Here's a upscale model from amazon..but I don't think they ship the canisters...but most Asian stores will have them.

DOH! forgot to include link. http://www.amazon.com/Max...
The ones at the Asian store will have a nice case with a handle to pack it away. But don't do like I did when I was younger and stupid and used it with a grill pan..about 2 inches from the counter-top microwave oven and melted the door of the microwave from the heat coming from the around the pan.

You might be able to look up the manual from Magic Chef online if you know the model #. I am always misplacing manuals and the websites are invaluable. Best of luck.

Dsc_0028

I just ran my oven's cleaning cycle the other
day. It's a Kitchen Aid, about 10 years old. The cycle took 3 1/2 hours before it unlocked. I agree with some others here that you jumped the gun and tried to open it before the cycle was completed.