My mother in law used to make a Czech recipe for egg yolk meringues and I cannot find the recipe. Has anyone ever heard of them

asked by carolcamille over 2 years ago
Chris_in_oslo

I have found a recipe for "yolk flower boxes" or "zloutkove rakvicky" in The Czechoslovak Cookbood by Joza Brizova (sorry, I didn't use the Czech alphabet). It may be what you're looking for, but it does have a tablespoon of "instantized flour," where that is.

2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, 5 egg yolks, 1 whole egg, 1 tablespoon instantized flour, 1 teaspoon vanilla.

Beat all the ingredients in an electric mixer or with a whisk until thick and foamy, about 45 minutes (!!). Prepare tiny loaf pans or eclair molds by brushing with melted butter and sprinkling with flour. Fill 2/3 full, and bake at 375 for 10 minutes or until the boxes are puffed up. Then reduce the heat to 325 and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more. Cool in the pans.

Make a little whole with a knife, and force some whipped cream into the center with a pastry tube. Decorate with a like of whipped cream.

"Instantized flour" (or Instant flour) is Wondra, by it's generic name. You might try using corn starch or arrowroot powder as a substitute.