🔎

Leftover coffee

Is there any reason I shouldn't drink coffee (plain, no cream or sugar) after it has sat in the pot for a day at room temperature?

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added almost 2 years ago

other than flavor, no. :)

Cookie16 added almost 2 years ago

Nope!

Wholefoods_user_icon
a Whole Foods Market Customer added almost 2 years ago

Good heavens I hope not, or I'd have been in big trouble a long time ago!

Waffle3
ChefOno added almost 2 years ago

From a safety standpoint, no, assuming you're going to heat it to the pasteurization point before consuming it.

Now my father, who drank percolated coffee for half his life, would disagree with me but there is no way of reheating coffee without causing it to turn all sorts of nasty.

amysarah added almost 2 years ago

This begs the question: when you make a pot of coffee in the morning, and have some leftover, do you dump it out? If there's a decent amount, I often put it in the fridge for iced coffee later in the day. (Not the greatest, but drinkable - does the trick. I'm not fancy.) Otherwise I just dump it. Anyone more clever than that with coffee, the sequel?

Kroka_kitchen
maryvelasquez added almost 2 years ago

You can freeze leftover coffee in an ice cube tray and use the cubes in iced coffee. This way the drink won't become diluted.

2010-09-15_14.22.07
calendargirl added almost 2 years ago

I'm with maryvelasquez! I keep a small pitcher in the fridge and add any leftover coffee to it. When I have enough to fill an ice cube tray, I make cubes of the coffee. Once they are frozen, put them into a ziploc bag and store in the freezer. Add a few coffee cubes to iced coffee, which will get stronger not weaker as the cubes melt.

wietje added almost 2 years ago

Icy cold coffee is nice, too, especially on a hot day.

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added almost 2 years ago

My Love, who suddenly at the age of 61, has gone completely cold turkey on a lifetime of morning coffee (switched to chai tea) used to drink reheated coffee, stored in its original counter top carafe, for 3-4 days( according to him, no ill effects). I would imagine that its high acidity helps preserve it, though i have seen it with a top mold after a vacation where the carafe was not cleaned out before we left.

Me_in_munich_with_fish
petitbleu added almost 2 years ago

Coffee cocktails can also be very rewarding--try cold coffee (it should be pretty strong) with Gosling's rum and whole milk or cream--best served over crunchy "Sonic" ice. A friend of mine who roasts coffee beans makes this cocktail with leftover cold brew--he calls it the Polar Bear.

Wholefoods_user_icon

Not that great to drink for me but I frequently add it to cake batter or frosting for that extra kick! Also mixed with some Bailey's Irish Cream and heated makes a yummy treat!!!