Ina Garten Chocolate Cake Recipe

Has anyone made Ina's recipe called Beatty's Chocolate Cake? I'm thinking of making it, but wanted some trusted feedback. Thanks!

asked by ATG117 over 2 years ago
Image

I haven't made it, but I have made this one http://food52.com/recipes... with buttermilk, and otherwise the ingredients are the same, so it should be delicious, dark and moist.

thanks! ANy favorite chocolate frostings? I dont want a cloyingly sweet buttercream. The addition of the egg yolk to the frosting in the recipe interests me. I've never done this. Has anyone else?

Image

I love her ganache frosting--a simple mixture of chopped chocolate melted into heavy cream.

I have. It is delicious! My daughters fav.

Thanks to both of you!!

Dsc01280

It's probably my favorite chocolate cake to make from scratch. I do cut out a quarter to a third of a cup of sugar from the recipe for the cake. For the frosting recipe she includes, I also reduce the powdered sugar by a quarter of a cup. I also replace the instant coffee powder with strong coffee or espresso, as I am more likely to have that on hand than the powder.

Thanks, Gibson2011. This will be very helpful. I'll watch the sugar in the frosting. I'm a bit hesitant to leave out the coffee powder in the frosting without subbing for coffee. Did you not find that the coffee ruined the consistency or made it to loose?

Dsc01280

It's such a small amount of coffee, that I don't think it really affected consistency. If anything, it might have made it a little easier to spread, as it's a pretty thick frosting. You're probably okay leaving it out though if you don't want the flavor.

One other question I meant to ask, what kind of cocoa did you use? I think I'm going to use my Ghiradelli powder.

Dsc01280

I think that would work great. Can't remember what I used.

She says "good cocoa," which is why I was wondering. Thanks again!

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet