🔎

Tips for preventing a broken Gratin?

Is there any general guidelines for preventing a cheese and cream based Gratin from "breaking", i.e. fat separating. The last two I have made have turned into oily messes, even though I seem to cooking it properly: bubbling and beginning to brown.

Wholefoods_user_icon

Chef Arik Markus is the cooking coach at Whole Foods Market Pearl in Boulder, Colorado.

Voted the Best Answer!

Depending on what youi're using for vegetables, the breaking could be caused by too high a temperature in your oven. You might try baking at 350-375 with a foil tent, then browning the top with a broiler for the final few minutes. You could also try baking in a water bath. My final thought would be to make the gratin with a bechamel: Make a roux with 2 Tbsp butter and 2 Tbsp flour for every 2 cups of cream, then simmer the sauce for 15 minutes before pouring into your gratin.

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added almost 2 years ago

chef arik is right on here. too high a heat and/or too long cooking.

Me_in_munich_with_fish
petitbleu added almost 2 years ago

Agreed. You might also have trouble if using veggies that exude a lot of moisture.