Bottarga

I'm looking for new ways to use bottarga. I like to shave it onto pasta, or crispy buttered bread, but am hoping for some inspiring new ideas. Thanks!

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

B0e51b35-a002-4fdd-adc2-f06fa947184e--baci1

I think it might taste great on risotto or polenta. Right now, for some reason, I'm craving it in with some sticky rice, maybe a tiny amount in the middle of a Japanese onigiri.

3f6be2de-402c-4521-b45d-8c4190dabde5--more_tomatoes

It's good grated onto soft scrambled eggs.

153e100a-284f-4c64-a3cc-72ac1de69d2d--zester_003

Bottarga is a bit tricky because the flavor is so strong (like colatura/garum). It's agressive. I'd be thinking about matching it with another seafood like scallops, or skate. Shaving it on pasta remains safe because it does arrive with arrogance and authority. But you could combine a milder fish in there. It "might" work in risotto but that's a challenge. Possibly crab meat in that risotto. Sorry, still trying to think context here...

23b88974-7a89-4ef5-a567-d442bb75da04--avatar

I don't have a specific suggestion, but you might try looking through some old (medieval to Renaissance) recipes from Italy, England and Spain. I sampled bottarga at a dinner celebrating Francis Bacon--strong flavor is right. Sheesh, I can still taste the stuff!