How long will a roast chicken keep in the fridge?

When I roast a chicken, we never finish it right away. How many days can I continue to safely use the leftovers?

asked by ameulensteen about 2 years ago
Waffle3

The quick and safe answer is 3-4 days.

The longer answer is it depends upon how you're going to use the leftovers. For example, you'd be perfectly safe if you made stock out of the bird 4 days from now and then consumed the stock (or soup or pot pie) 3 or 4 days later.

Waffle3

Sorry, this line was supposed to follow the second paragraph above: Every time you take a dish up to pasteurization temperature, the clock is reset.

Photo_squirrel

Keeping meats and fish and poultry in the rear left corner of your fridge- has a remarkable impact on lengthening their lives, both pre and post cooking.

Waffle3

I've got my refrigerator turned down so low, anything stored in that upper rear corner will freeze. My milk and heavy cream go right next to that spot though and it extends their useful life by quite a bit.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet