Shopping for inspiration.

What are the must-visit gourmet markets in New York City?

asked by JRF about 2 years ago
Dsc00859_2

Fairway, Zabar's, Whole Foods Columbus Circle.

Me
Amanda Li

Amanda is a developer at Food52.

Fairway and Kalustyan's

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

Eataly

Eataly of course. But this place is more like a department store or museum than a market. At least four aisles of pasta alone. And instead of clerks they could perhaps employ docents. There is probably a department for ladies' hats but I have'nt discovered it yet. After that I'd head downtown to Russ & Daughters on E. Houston. Small, crowded and very lower East Side. Uptown I do like Fairway and Zabars but it's almost torture to be in those places for more than a few minutes.

Chelsea Market?

I guess I forgot Dean&DeLuca at Prince and Spring. Train stops outside the door.

Dsc00859_2

Yes, Dean&DeLuca. Fairway before 10AM! :)

Dsc_0048b

Definitely agree that Eataly is a great place to browse and find some imports that are hard to find elsewhere. And Pierino is spot on re: Russ and Daughters. Best smoked fish!

Dsc_0048b

Or what we NYers call "appetizing".

Farmer's_market

Russ and Daughters is Mecca for smoked fish (yes, appetizing!) Slicing it properly is an almost lost art, still practiced there. But re: Italian, I'd head to Arthur Ave. in the Bronx. It's what Little Italy was before it became extinct - same vendors have been there forever, it's the real deal, not touristy. (Sorry, not a big Eataly fan.) Also not a gourmet store per se, but in warm weather, I'd head to the greenmarket in Union Square and the Smorgasbord at the Brooklyn Flea (Williamsburg) on Saturdays - vast assortment of delicious things. Oh, and so many others...