🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

I was looking at some online recipes for pesto (specifically arugula). All the recipes were very similar, save for one notable difference.

Some recipes said to blanch the arugula, followed by an ice bath. Others just said to grind the raw arugula right in there. What, if any, Benifits are there to blanching the arugula first?

asked by Benny over 2 years ago
Farmer's_market

I think blanching is about keeping the arugula's color a nice bright green. Maybe it also cuts its sharpness a bit - not necessarily a benefit, depending on whether you want a mellower flavor.

Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Correct - shocking 5-10 seconds in simmering water will keep the colour of arugula, basil, etc. Salt also helps retain the green colour when cooking any green veg.

You might lose some of the bright flavour but as long as it's only a quick shock you should be fine.

Food52

Thanks. I opted for the full flavor and bite, and skipped the blanching. It was still very green and very tasty. But thank you for clearing that up for me :)