Leeks

I bought way too many leeks! Can I prep them (wash, slice and dry) and freeze them? How long can they last in the freezer if I am able to?

asked by Madame Sel about 2 years ago

Although I'm not sure about shelf life, I do know you can prep them and freeze them. I would add the step of quickly blanching them to the wash, slice, dry line up though.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

Yes, definitely blanch them before freezing.

Imag0055

Leeks keep extraordinarily well. We pluck them all winter out of a box in a freezing cold shed. If you have room in your refrigerator, they will likewise keep perfectly well for a long long time. If the outer leaves get limp or brown, simply pull them away to expose the fresh leek beneath. Why bother with the hassle of freezing them?

Simply, I would freeze them for fridge space. They are smaller once processed and frozen.

Dsc00859_2

I wash and slice them and freeze regularly for use in soups, never have blanched them, and they've been fine.