🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

where can I find reliable conversion tables from U.S. measurements to metric measurements for baking and cooking?

reliable conversions from U.S. measurements to metric measurements for cooking. I live in Perú and need to learn measurement equivalents for Peruvian recipes.

asked by creampin1 over 2 years ago

Google

Just use Google. Type the conversion you want into the Google search bar and it will return the answer. For example, typing "15 ounces in grams" will return the result 425. Works for all sorts of measurements. By the way, just tried a pound of Peruvian coffee for the first time--"Kikira" from the southern Puno region--delicious!

Buddhacat

My daughter the baker insists the best way to measure when cooking and baking is by weight. She made sure I purchased a scale that measures both ounces and grams. Highly recommend purchasing a scale. They don't take up a lot of room. This is the one I have http://www.amazon.com/OXO...

Conversion lite. Free app. I love it!

Scan0004

I found (and copied for my own reference use) good tables at The Metric Kitchen:
http://www.jsward.com/cooking...

P1291120

In addition to properly converting measurements, there may be some issues with ingredients (for example, wheat flour is not exactly the same around the world and you can have some tragic results if the recipe calls for "all purpose flour" and you use something that seems like it should be the same but actually isn't as it may have leaveners added). I'm not sure how you can check but heard an interesting story about Rose Berenbaum having to fully rework her wonderful "Cake Bible" recipes before the book could be released in the UK due to the differences in the ingredients (especially flour). There has also been at least one severe recipe failure on this site where a UK Food52-er didn't realize the flour difference, used a US based recipe, and had unfortunate cupcake results. Finally, due to the altitude in much of Peru, be sure to make any "high altitude" adjustments that are required.

Having said all that - I LOVE how international this site is! What a lovely treat to know that folks from all around the world are participating.

Seajambon:
.....There has also been at least one severe recipe failure on this site where a UK Food52-er didn't realize the flour difference, used a US based recipe....

I am in the UK and unaware of the 'flour difference', can you please elaborate!!