🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Creamy Homemade Ricotta

Food52_01-10-12-6879

I have a question about the recipe "Creamy Homemade Ricotta" from Jennifer Perillo. Can I substitute sheep's milk for cow's milk in this recipe? Allergies are not an issue, so i would use cow's milk buttermilk and cream. Thanks so much.

Sheep milk would be fine-and add a distinctive flavor. Ricotta usually doesn't have the cream that your recipe calls for. Ricotta means 're-cooked' and is made from the remaining milk and whey left over after making cheese. Yours will be good, I am sure, but will have a higher fat content than the usual ricotta.

Junechamp

some of the best ricotta I have ever eaten was made with sheep's milk. Sub away!

Flower-bee

Sheep's milk has a considerably higher butterfat content in comparison to cow's milk, so you may want to omit the addition of cream. You may also get a slightly more creamy yellowish hue for the ricotta as opposed to the usual white.