🔎

• 6

• 1268

Best kind of mango?

I'm planning to make an avocado/mango salad and find there are different kinds of mangoes available now. Which would be the best to use in the salad?

Tarragon added almost 2 years ago

As for what is available in grocery stores, if you can get the small champagne mangoes from Mexico, go for it; they are sweet and not fibrous. But they have a short season which recently ended. As for the others, I like the smallish, yellowish mangoes from Haiti - they also tend to be sweet and have a good texture. I have not had good luck with other supermarket mangoes and tend to avoid them. In my opinion, the best mangoes are local South Florida mangoes (usually Adkins), but I have not seen them even in local grocery stores (other than farm stands) so I doubt they are available other than locally, and their season is not until late June/early July. I have a Julie mango tree in my back yard, but that also is about 6 weeks away from optimum.

KarenO added almost 2 years ago

Many thanks. You've opened my eyes to the differences. I'll be on the hunt for them.

Quinciferous added almost 2 years ago

I really wish we could easily get Indian mangoes in the US. Alphonso, dussherie, or my favorite, langda or "the limper" -- it "limps" in at the end of the mango season and has such amazing flavor, and no stringy fibers at all.

Sigh...one day. Until then Tarragon has great advice :)

Gator_cake

Do you want the mango to be sweeter or tarter? I'd go champagne if you want it sweet and with a more creamy texture. I'd go Tommy Atkins (probably the most available mango in groceries at this time of year, the ones I've been seeing are from Guatemala) and maybe even use it slightly underripe.

Bigpan
bigpan added almost 2 years ago

Best mango is a fresh mango.

Bates,Barley added almost 2 years ago

Try to find Alfonso from India. Tis their season.