Looking for a good-quality nonstick fry pan

For quite a while now I have placed a moratorium on buying cookware for myself due to pretty severe financial restrictions, but recently when I mentioned to a relative that I needed a large nonstick fry pan, she generously offered to buy me one. I use a stainless 12 inch All-Clad as my kitchen workhorse, but I find I sometimes need another large fry pan and would like a nonstick option. The All-Clad 12-inch nonstick is a little more than I think she'd like to spend, so I'm wondering about other high-quality, slightly lower-cost options (somewhere around $120, give or take). If there's a significant increase in quality at a higher price, though, I might just try to kick in the extra money for a pricier one. Thoughts?

asked by Kristen W. about 2 years ago
Me_in_munich_with_fish

I recently bought a Bialetti nonstick frying pan, and I LOVE it. It's probably not as long-lasting as All-Clad, but it's not teflon. I think it's enameled, and it's slick, slick, slick. It's really, truly a non stick pan. In fact, be careful. You might just propel your food right out of it. Even things that get crusty and hard to clean on other pans will just rinse right off.
I can't remember how much I paid for mine. Probably about $30. It has been so worth it. Don't stack other pans on top of it, though because you don't want anything to scratch its surface. I highly recommend it.

Jess-otoole

I used to work for Viking, and during my time there I bought a ScanPan 10 1/4" sauté pan. That was in 2004 and I still use the nonstick pan every day. The coating is just as good as the day I brought it home and I love cooking with it. Their "fry pans" are cheaper than the high-sided sauté pans, and would probably work just fine for you. It's my go to pan for cooking any type of eggs. Feel free to holler at me if you have any questions. You can find ScanPan on amazon, but here is the link to my particular pan on the manufacturer's website:
http://www.scanpancookware...

Good luck!

Get a Acanpan.

Waffle3

Two suggestions:

Williams-Sonoma has the new All-Clad 5-ply 12" non-stick with lid on sale right now for half price making it $130. This is the piece All-Clad just sent me as a warranty replacement for my 20+ year-old pan (which wouldn't have needed replacement except *somebody* kept putting it through the dishwasher without my knowledge). It's a beauty.

http://www.williams-sonoma...

Bed, Bath and Beyond has All-Clad's 12" tri-ply non-stick fry pan on sale for $128 less an additional 20% off (with coupon) making the price just over $100.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond...

ChefOno if that "somebody" runs your knives through the dishwasher you already know you will have to kill that "somebody" some day.

At Bed Bath and Beyond they have a pan called Orgreenic. It was $20. Season it per the instructions and it is awesome. Enjoy.

I was lucky enough to be able to buy a complete set of All Clad a couple of years ago, but I kept one non-All Clad piece - my Circulon skillet. I grabbed it when I was staying at a hotel for a month. The room had a kitchenette, so I picked up some inexpensive cooking stuff. The pans been scuffed and scarred, but still is my preferred scrambled egg pan.

Have you considered cast iron? I stopped using nonstick and got a 12" lodge cast iron pan about a year and a half ago. I loved it so much I got a smaller one as well. I still use my all clad pans (which I've loved and always thought the best) but honestly, I use the cast iron pans more. It might take a bit to get them seasoned and used to properly cooking, but now my over easy eggs come out perfect. <$30 and available at hardware stores or search online.

Wow, lots of great options mentioned here! Thanks so much for the feedback -- not quite sure yet which of these I'll wind up going with, but the decision feels much less like a shot in the dark now. Once again, I SO appreciate this forum!