🔎

Mud Pie Recipe?

I grew up in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, and adored the treat from the German bakeries known locally as mud pies. It was a flatish, round pastry with a chocolate pastry cream swirled in. I don't think it was a choux paste kind of thing, because as a child, I hated eclairs, but loved the mud pies. Any thoughts? If anyone on this wonderful forum is from Sheboygan, these were sold out the back door of Johnson's bakery at 2am. (In Sheboyganese, the phrase was.."We're going down by Johnsons and buying some bakery...")

Me
wssmom added almost 2 years ago

I am familiar with Mississippi Mud Pies, but I don't think that resembles what you are describing.

Esther Plume added almost 2 years ago

Sorry, I'm English... But based on relatively extensive cake eating in Europe (dont get me wrong... I still have a lot more "research" to do!!) could I hazard a guess at a couple of possibilities? it might have been a brioche type bread with chocolate cream, or a Danish pastry (puff pastry type) - I think they'd be your best bets with where to start. Either way, you'd have something very tasty... I'm going to saunter off and have a go at a brioche topped with blobs of choc pastry cream... You've got me inspired!

Esther Plume added almost 2 years ago

Have you considered contacting the bakery? I'm sure they'd help! They might not be able to give you the recipe, but there'll probably be someone who can tell you what was in them, and they'll probably enjoy the trip down memory lane!

Melusine added almost 2 years ago

Hmmmm...I think the brioche type bread comes closest, at least in my hazy memories. I know it wasn't Danish or puff pastry, since they weren't at all flaky. And yep - calling the company might work, too. For the 834th time..I love this forum. Thank you --

Melusine added almost 2 years ago