🔎

If you could only use two varieties of apples in an apple pie, which would you choose?

I'm leaning towards golden delicious for their sweetness and firmness, and either grannies or macs for tartness.

What are your favorites?

Mrs._larkin_370
Chris_in_oslo

I like to use a mix. Golden delicious and Granny Smith are usually not on my list for an American apple pie, as they hold their shape a bit too well (for me). Macs don't hold their shape at all, so they are good in combo with your other choices. Winesap, Macoun, Rome are some of my standards. I once had a truly delicious pink-fleshed tree--Brandywine--but its fruit doesn't travel well, so I don't think it saw much commercial trade.

Pegeen added almost 2 years ago

How is the Pie-apalooza going?! Also like the suggested combo of Granny Smith and Golden Delicious - tart with sweet. Macintosh are a bit watery - lose their shape and get mushy. Cortland or Northern Spy also good for pie.

3-bizcard

I like cortland and gala or cortland and fuji

Lisi32 added almost 2 years ago

Granny smith & honey crisp, sweet & tart and so delish!

Food52
Benny added almost 2 years ago

Golden delicious and grannies would be my choice.

Buddhacat
SKK added almost 2 years ago

Depends on the season and the location. Here in Washington state apples are out of season and you can get the kinds stored for the season in coolers or from other parts of the world. Go for a mixture of sweet and tart and choose depending on quality.

Imag0055
mainecook61 added almost 2 years ago

Nothing in season now, but in fall---Northern Spy, Idared, Baldwin, Liberty.

candacemay added over 1 year ago

Macintosh and granny smith always comes out perfect