What is the best sauce for artichokes?

asked by FlacaZurda over 2 years ago
Jess-otoole

I love to serve artichokes with melted butter, or aioli, or "Roman Style" with a dressing of olive oil, lemon, garlic, and fresh herbs (mint, thyme).

Waffle3

Out of all the sauces and all the possible preparations, my favorite is Best Foods / Hellmann's Mayonnaise right out of the jar. (Don't knock it unless you've tried it; other jarred mayo doesn't count.) Hollandaise is good too, and a good way to use leftover sauce from a day or two before*.

(*Assuming you pasteurized the eggs in the process.)

The_cook

Hellmann's is my best choice. Even better, I use half Hellmann's and half plain yogurt (not Greek). The yogurt make the sauce lighter and gives it a little bite.

ATL

Lemon butter

I'm stalwartly in there with the roman style oil, and mint. In the same tradition I'll pull back the trimmed leaves and bread crumbs. I use a melon baller to take out the choke and put the same stuffing in there also.

I like a honey and dijon mustard combo with a touch of champagne vinegar, salt and pepper.

I second just the mayo, but like "Stone soup" it usually gets a bit of this or that.
Lemon Juice, salt, and a touch of Cajun seasoning sometimes.

Face

I just had a sauce tonight that was a touch of cream, chicken stock and puréed artichoke with a touch of tarragon. It was outstanding (served with chicken)

Dsc_0028

Years ago, I was having lunch in a restaurant in Greensboro, NC. Can't remember what I was eating except that there was a dish of the most delicious mayonnaise. When I mentioned it to the waiter, he said, "Hellmann's with lemon juice beaten into it."

Wholefoods_user_icon

Allans - I sure would love to have that pureed artichoke cream sauce recipe!

Face

So would I - I had it at a restaurant. Next time I'm there, I'll ask!

Thanks to Deborah Madison in Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, I steam little artichokes with bay, lemon rind, and peppercorns when I take out the chokes, I add butter and crushed garlic and lemon juice to the water and reduce it to a nice dipping consistency, then pour it over the cooked artichokes (and spoon it on to serving plates for dipping in - truly lovely way to start a dinner party.