🔔
🔎

stringy mangoes

What makes mangoes stringy and is the skin good for you? Re the latter, I recently saw someone eating a champagne mango like an apple--peel and all. I do find the peel to have a flowery, pleasant scent.

asked by ATG117 over 2 years ago
Noz_photo

Champagne mangoes have a much thinner skin than other varieties, which would make it easier to eat. Many people have allergies to mango skin, which is a reason not to eat it!

Mangoes can be stringy because they're under-ripe or just too big. You're more likely to find tender flesh in a smaller fruit.

The peel of mangoes contains the same chemical which makes poison ivy itchy, which is why many people have allergic reactions to it - I would not recommend eating the peel. As for the stringiness, I've had better luck with the golden mangoes than the common green and red ones - you can usually buy them in Asian markets.

Thanks. My mango was of the large variety. It was definitely very rip, which is why I tend to like this variety. I find it to be sweeter than the small champagne mangoes.

Dsc_0122.nef-1

some varieties of mangoes are just born thick skinned & stringy. C'est la vie.

Dsc_0122.nef-1

About the peel, yep they do have nutrients, but you have to be careful, they can also be spiked with a caustic component similar to Urschiol (the poison ivy itchy component) radiating from the little nub that was attached to the tree. those give you a bad itch at the back of the throat. in all cases avoid the part of the skin close to that nubby scar.

usually very juicy mangoes tend to tear into strings but certain skins are very sweet and delicious the whole mango if its ripe will be sweet and juicy

Parallel to the original question, there has been a new outbreak of salmonella associated with mangoes. Fifteen or more states have been affected and quite a few people have been made sick. It's been traced to Mexico and a single distibutor. As with the canteloupe outbreak last year, consider that when you are slicing your knife blade goes through the contaminated outer skin into the flesh.

P1291120

I thought the stringiness in mangoes had more to do with the variety we commonly get in the US supermarkets than the ripeness? Or maybe it is that the ones we commonly get are frequently stringy when ripe? But (again my understanding) is that is why Champagne Mangoes are never stringy, and the common ones we get (the larger ones) frequently are. Guess I'll have to go and confirm with my Greengrocer. I know it is true with ginger root (because my Greengrocer and I had this conversation in that context) -- some varieties are just stringy. Period. Nothing to do with ripeness or anything else. And, those varieties are the same ones that we most commonly get in the US supermarkets.