What should I serve for dessert for a party that is cocktails and heavy hors d'ourvres?

There will be 16 people.

asked by Bates,Barley about 2 years ago
Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

cupcakes & fruits?

Food52

Cookies and coffee.... That and more cocktails.

Voted the Best Answer!

Baci1

I was going to add "jello shots" and why not more cocktails. That coffee would taste really good with some Bailey's, Frangelico, or Kahlua ;)

Sunshine-small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

You want something you can make pretty far in advance and can be held in hand. How about something classic like chocolate mousse?

Bigpan

Since the "meal" is one-bite items, stick to that theme and have a small assortment of one-bite desserts.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

good idea bigpan. perhaps chocolate dipped fruit and mini cupcakes.

Wholefoods_user_icon

Make or order something light and fresh, personally I wouldn't make the dessert myself I would order it. How about a fruit tart or a bunch of mini fruit tarts with a side of couple different sorbets.

Farmer's_market

I agree with one bite pastries - cookies, brownies, lemon bars, whatever you like. Also, homemade biscotti, made smaller than usual, work well and are easy to make ahead.

Another nice way to finish that's sort of midway between an hors d'oeuvre and a sweet is to serve some good Stilton on a thin toast or a wheatmeal cracker (e.g., Carr's), with some fig jam or a sliver of juicy pear. (My favorite.)

Face

I have served this before with good results. Skewer assorted fruit, grapes, pineapple, mango, strawberries. Put some Greek yoghurt in a clear plastic cup and have the skewers in the cup. One per. Easy to eat, light and refreshing, and can easily be carries around.

Mini lemon bars. Way low on the labor-intensive scale.

Bigpan

Another thought is to buy those little balls of ice cream that are covered in chocolate - put in a nice bowl (silver or glass) inside another bowl with dry ice ! Nice visual. If you can't get dry ice use regular ice with small Xmas lights around the bowl - NOT in with the melting ice.
Stick a fancy toothpick in each ice cream ball.

Dessert + liquor + easy service + easy storage

= chocolate amaretto zabaglione with (just for fun) amaretti-style ladyfingers

Cakes

Mini-shortbread tarts filled with some kind of creamy filling - - mousse, curd, no-bake, etc. You can make the tarts in advance and freeze them, and you can make the filling a day in advance. All you need to do is assemble the day of, and decorate each tart with a berry.

Thanks everyone! I went with smitten kitchen's lemon bars. And may do some biscotti depending on time.