🔎

Coconut oil substitute

Im making a muffin recipe that calls for coconut oil but I am wondering if there are any substitutes out there? Melted butter? Vegetable oil? The muffins use almond flour and it only calls for a 1/4 cup. Any ideas?

PCPC added almost 2 years ago

I don't know of any substitute for coconut oil, but in case you are wondering where to find it, most Asian grocery stores/ markets, such as H-Mart carry it.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm
beyondcelery added almost 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Coconut oil is a solid at room temperature, like butter, so I'd probably substitute melted butter (or solid butter, if it seems to want solid coconut oil) for it to get the most similar result. Otherwise, try using canola oil and see what happens. It'll probably still work, but have a different texture and crumb. Muffin recipes are pretty forgiving.

julsja added almost 2 years ago

I thoughted melted butter would work best. Thanks.

Wholefoods_user_icon

Chef Arik Markus is the cooking coach at Whole Foods Market Pearl in Boulder, Colorado.

Funny, I usually go the opposite direction these days. I typically use 3/4 the amount of butter called for when I use coconut oil. Now I wish I had paid more attention in algebra class.

P1291120
SeaJambon added almost 2 years ago

Chef Arik - can you help me understand your conversion thought process (I'm kinda new to coconut oil)? Is there something inherently different in how coconut oil peforms vis-a-vis other oils that makes it possible/appropriate/necessary to use less? If so, could you explain? I'm ALWAYS very interested in kitchen chemistry and excited to learn what you had already discovered (oh -- and the conversion math -- if butter times 3/4 equals coconut oil, then coconut oil divided by 3/4 equals butter. I can't do fraction division in my head, but my calculator can divide by .75 very quickly...). ;

Scplogoblog
Slow Cooked Pittsburgh added almost 2 years ago

Coconut oil is a saturated fat, sounds to me like the original recipe is perhaps vegan and gluten free. The difference between a saturated fat like coconut oil and butter will be (in terms of use ratios, not in terms of flavor) water content. I would think that any kind of saturated fat would be acceptable here, including vegetable shortening. The big difference with butter is it's melting point and finding the balance between texture and flavor. Not such a big thing with muffins, probably, but with a pie crust or cookies it impacts how the dough spreads as it is heated. Anyway, if the recipe calls for melting the coconut oil (rather than, for example, creaming it), then I almost always substitute butter or olive oil.