infusing tea into jam

Hi everyone--I would like to infuse the flavor of black tea into a sweet jam I'm making later...any thoughts on the best method? My idea is to use a spice bag filled with tea leaves in the jam while it simmers, but it's not a very long-cooking one. How much tea per cup of fruit would be reasonable? Has anyone tried this?

asked by Raquelita about 2 years ago
0605111238

I wish I were closer to the macerating fruit so I could add in the tea leaves now! I will try the maceration-step steeping and just wait a little longer to start cooking the jam tonight. Thanks!

Baci1

I wonder if you could grind up the tea leaves and just add it to the jam, like an herb or spice.

Be careful tea has time and tempting. If you want a strong tea flavor use more tea. If you brew it to long and to hot it will be bitter. Black tea is best at about 195 degree for 3 minutes. But it really depends on what kind of tea you use.

The best way is to brew the tea in hot water as you normally would, but use three or four times the normal amount to make a "super infusion" and then add this liquid to the fruit and sugar. The additional liquid will slightly extend the cooking time, but this is the very best way to include the tea's flavour, without adding bitterness.