🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

I have several cups of cooked sauerkraut left over from a rather large open-bake choucroute I made the other day (sauerkraut + fresh cabbage + apples + caramelized onions + white wine + cider, baked with garlicky sausages and a smoked turkey thigh , plus the usual herbs and spices). I once saw a recipe for a soup to which you add sauerkraut toward the end of the cooking time. Do you have, or can you direct me to, such a recipe, in which my leftover sauerkraut might be a good addition? Thank you. ;o)

asked almost 4 years ago
036

I have an idea, not a recipe - but I think if you were making a borscht type soup that plopping some sauerkraut in would be great! Naked Beet's borscht is wonderful ... I think that adding your skraut would work. You could sneak a ham hock in there too ...

Dsc03010

Here's two recipes to get you started--take what you want out of each of them and make up your own version, which I just know will be great. I usually do a bone-in smoked ham slice or ham hocks and short ribs.

http://www.foodnetwork...

http://www.seriouseats...

I think you could add it to a Russian Cabbage Soup. In fact, I've thought of doing that several times myself, I just didn't have the kraut at the time. Basically it's a French onion soup like base with chunks of brisket, cabbage, celery, carrots and a few raisins. Your meats would sub nicely for the brisket, the apples for the raisins. To my mind, the sauerkraut is a perfect addition added a few minutes before the end of cooking. I don't have a written recipe, I riffed it "au pif" from my favorite soup, at a restaurant. There are some recipes online, just google!

Dsc_0015

There's a sauerkraut and bean soup that is a staple in my (Yugoslav) family. It sounds like you have a nice flavor base so you could probably just add some good chicken stock and cooked white beans or kidney beans and simmer.

Me_by_barbara_tyroler

Soup sounds wonderful.

Or throw it at the Twitter people. Oops. Did I say that out loud?

Face_of_world_food

How about some Reuben Chowder: http://foododelmundo.com...

Reuben_chowder75

Kay_at_lake

Oh, MAN! That Reuben Chowder looks like a keeper! Got to try that, soon!

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

I vote for that Reuben soup. Damn that looks tasty! *Drools*