🔎

Pomegranate Molasses -- Good Substitute?

Am making Yotam Yotolenghi's Burnt Eggplant with Tahini and the recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of pomegranate molasses. Debating whether to use Pekmez (mulberry syrup, mulberries are only ingredients) or tart cherry concentrate. Thoughts?

2010-09-15_14.22.07
Christine added almost 2 years ago

I would go with the tart cherry concentrate. It sounds similar to the tart/sweetness of pom molasses, and I think mulberries tend to be a little bit more mellow.

Maedl added almost 2 years ago

Definitely the tart cherry concentrate, but if you do much Middle Eastern or Turkish cooking, invest in pomegranate molasses. It isn't expensive, keeps for ages and is good to have on hand to dress up plain foods. Try some in an oil and vinegar dressing on a salad or in a meatloaf seasoned with dill and mint.

Scan0004
susan g added almost 2 years ago

You can also make it by reducing pure pomegranate juice. Just keep simmering until it has a light syrupy consistency.

2010-09-15_14.22.07
calendargirl added almost 2 years ago

Thanks to all... the pomegranate molasses is on my list, and I love the sound of your meatloaf, Maedl. Love that Hotline!

Maedl added almost 2 years ago

You can also add small chunks of feta to the meatloaf if you have it on hand.

Open-uri.13930
chefsusie added almost 2 years ago

When you buy Pomgranate molasses you can buy it in two styles. Sweet and sour. I have several Persian friends. They use a mix of both for many Iranian recipes.