🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Pomegranate Molasses -- Good Substitute?

Am making Yotam Yotolenghi's Burnt Eggplant with Tahini and the recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of pomegranate molasses. Debating whether to use Pekmez (mulberry syrup, mulberries are only ingredients) or tart cherry concentrate. Thoughts?

asked by calendargirl over 2 years ago

I would go with the tart cherry concentrate. It sounds similar to the tart/sweetness of pom molasses, and I think mulberries tend to be a little bit more mellow.

Definitely the tart cherry concentrate, but if you do much Middle Eastern or Turkish cooking, invest in pomegranate molasses. It isn't expensive, keeps for ages and is good to have on hand to dress up plain foods. Try some in an oil and vinegar dressing on a salad or in a meatloaf seasoned with dill and mint.

Scan0004

You can also make it by reducing pure pomegranate juice. Just keep simmering until it has a light syrupy consistency.

2010-09-15_14.22.07

Thanks to all... the pomegranate molasses is on my list, and I love the sound of your meatloaf, Maedl. Love that Hotline!

You can also add small chunks of feta to the meatloaf if you have it on hand.

Open-uri.13930

When you buy Pomgranate molasses you can buy it in two styles. Sweet and sour. I have several Persian friends. They use a mix of both for many Iranian recipes.