🔔
🔎

I try to make a pea soup but always comes out like. I add more stock but it doesn't make a diff and taste watery. Any ideas?

asked by @oceanspeed about 4 years ago

Meant to Say that it comes out like baby food. Adding more stock makes it tastes watery but doesn't reduce the consistency of it at all.

Oceanspeed, can you provide your recipe?

Have you tried increasing the salt as you increase the water. Sometimes that's all it needs.

It's a bit of a hit and miss one.
1 ltr of stock approximate
Put into a container and add 3/4 of peas
Dollop of cream along with seasoning

Put into a blender and no matter how long or hard I blend for it's like a porridge consistency.

If I add more stockit doesn't emulsify into it to thin it out

The peas are pre cooked and given to me by a restaurant where I work so I'm just adding after that if it males a difference?

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

SALT!!!! If you're not adding salt, the soup will taste bland.

Here's my recipe for Split Pea Soup:
Get a bag of split peas (16oz), small diced carrot, celery, and onion, mince one garlic clove, dried thyme, low-sodium chicken stock. First heat large pot on med-low with 2 tbsp unsalted butter, 1 tbsp olive oil. When butter stops singing, add onion, celery, and carrot, with a pinch of Kosher salt. Sweat for 10 minutes, add minced garlic, sweat 1 minute. Add split peas. Add a pinch of dried thyme, add 4 cups chicken stock and 1 cup water. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Taste, add salt and pepper to taste. Serve chunky or blend for smooth consistency. Done.