🔔
🔎

What does it mean if one of my hard-boiled eggs floats in the water after cooking? @Food52Hotline

asked by @LooseLeaf_Fancy about 3 years ago
C0d1f1de-4134-43ba-9510-1d7a8caa31f3.scan0004

There are some answers online, and this looked like the right one -- http://answers.yahoo.com...
Another possibility -- if a hard-boiled egg is in very salty water, it may float, but then I would think they all would, not just one -- and it would have to be very salty.

3639eee1-5e0d-4861-b1ed-149bd0559f64.gator_cake

I'd definitely say it's an older egg with a bigger air pocket inside. Might not be rotten, but why take the chance?

23b88974-7a89-4ef5-a567-d442bb75da04.avatar

Older eggs will float but that doesn't mean they're bad. If I know I have to make deviled eggs for a party I'll set aside the amount I need 3 or 4 weeks ahead of time b/c they're easier to peel. Also I like to tap the eggs on a table to slightly crack them (this lets water in the eggs making them easy to peel.) Set all the eggs in a pot of salted cold water and bring to a boil. As soon as it boils turn off the heat and cover w/a lid. Let them set 15 minutes then drain and run cold water over them till they're cool enough to peel. Perfect eggs every time. Do the same for egg salad.