How do I make a good cheese sauce, that doesn't use eggs? When I try, my cheese clumps.

asked by Basia,Marie about 2 years ago
Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Cheese can seize during cooking if heated too quickly - it starts to curdle, which is the clumping.

Try heating very slowly and gradually, adding a handful of shredded cheese at at time (shredding gives more surface area to melt quickly and more evenly). If you're using milk, use whole fat instead of skim or 2% - fat can help to stabilize the sauce.

Some cheese melt more easily than others, too - try a gruyere or emmentaler, for instance.

oops = ADD the cheese

I had the same problem until I used a whisk instead of a spoon to briskly incorporate the coarsely grated cheese. Gradual additions of cheese, lots of whisking, and voila! Perfect cheese sauce at last.

The term for the sauce described above is sauce mornay. Simply, it is cheese added to bechamel. no eggs required. And be sure to warm your milk to the scalding point before whisking it into the roux. Otherwise you risk having a lumpy sauce.

I thought the rule was add cold liquid to a hot roux and cold roux to a warm liquid. http://www.ibiblio.org...

Has food science found this to be untrue?

Pierino is correct. The proteins in the flour in the roux will extend and take up liquid, be it milk or stock, much more efficiently and quickly if it is warm rather than cold.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet