🔔
🔎

Make ahead wheat berries?

I'm making a recipe that calls for white wheat berries with instructions to soak them for two hours. It's for a Friday night dinner party so I'm hoping to make them the night before. Any tips? What is the best way to warm them up tomorrow? Thanks!

asked by missb503 over 2 years ago
Monica

I have done this with cold, cooked red wheat berries: put the grains in a heatproof colander and pour a kettle of boiling water over them. If your berries are softer, maybe test this out with a handful before doing the whole batch.

Kroka_kitchen

You can also freeze cooked wheat berries in a ziplock bag, per Lorna Sass.

Thank you! They turned out great!

I cook stuff like that -- grains, rice, lentils etc. -- in my rice cooker. I have the low end kind where you push down s lever/button and it's done when it clicks. I'm the second generation doing his, so we know it works. So, if you want to serve them hot, just start hem cooking 45 minutes to an hour ahead of time -- they keep warm in the cooker. You can add dried herbs and spices (it helps to bloom the spices in some oil/ghee before adding) and use broth or water. It's really simple, on-demand rice and grains. Give it a try some time when you aren't on a deadline.