🔎

• 5

• 748

• See other questions tagged:
    • ginger

What is "Confectioner's Ginger"?

Leafing through the '46 edition of Joy of Cooking, I ran across a candy recipe calling for a teaspoon of the ingredient. No definition in the book, none in Food Lover's Companion, and the recipe does not appear in the current version of Joy, so no clues there.

Waffle3
RachelS added almost 2 years ago

My guess is that it would be another term for powdered ginger. What is the recipe for exactly.

inpatskitchen added almost 2 years ago

Candied ginger is sometimes referred to as a "confectionery". I've seen recipes where ground ginger and confectioner's sugar are substituted for it..

Waffle3
ChefOno added almost 2 years ago

The book mentions ground ginger specifically in other recipes so I assume this is something different.

The recipe is for a candy, a brown sugar and cream base with pineapple and ginger.

It's entirely possible candied ginger is equivalent, but with only a teaspoon in a pound of candy, it would have to be very finely chopped and there is no mention of any such processing.

Dscf0037_2
withinseason added almost 2 years ago

According to this candy making book (Shipman 2003), it's candied ginger. Can only find the one source though defining it.

http://books.google.com...

Waffle3
ChefOno added almost 2 years ago

Sweet! One reference is better than guessing -- and better than I could come up with. Thanks.