🔎

• 5

• 4543

• See other questions tagged:
    • baking

Is it possible to save whipped cream that has become separate?

If by "separate" you mean that you've overwhipped it and turned it to butter and buttermilk, unfortunately no. The good news is that once you drain it through some cheesecloth, you've got lovely fresh butter.

Dsc_0002_2
threefresheggs added almost 2 years ago

On the other hand, if you are referring to whipped cream you made yesterday that has been "weeping" (now it is sitting in a pool of its own tears), the answer is that it is fine to use, though not quite as good as it would have been yesterday.

hkellyis added almost 2 years ago

No, Unfortunately it was the first. I think everything was too hot and I was trying to be quick. Oh well .... Thank you.

m1800 added almost 2 years ago

I've heard you can try slowly beating in more heavy cream...

Sarah_chef

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

You can try to incorporate more cream - but only if it's *just* to the point of being over whipped. If it's too far gone you'll just be wasting more heavy cream (or making more butter).

If you're whipping cream ahead of time, you can take it to very soft peaks, pop it in the fridge and then when you need to use it just give it a few whips to bring the cream back. This helps you in prep but also helps prevent taking cream too far.