🔔
🔎

Over cooking salmon how to prevent

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 2 years ago
Buddhacat

How do you want to prepare it? Grilled, roasted, poached? One thing to remember is that salmon will keep cooking once it is take of the source of heat.

Yes, without knowing your cooking method it's almost impossible to advise.

Waffle3

I think it would also help to know if we are discussing a whole fish, steaks or fillets.

And if a digital thermometer will be at hand. <<< Hint

I find if you cook it in a parchment with a little olive oil and some lemon slices it is less likely to become dry if you inadvertently over cook it.

You want to take it out a bit prior to being cooked through. You can insert the tip of your knife to check where it's at. As mentioned, it will continue to cook out of the oven, but I happen to like my salmon medium rare in any event. For some reference, I cook a 2 1/2 pound fillet on 425 for 10-12 minutes, remove it from the oven, and then cover it in foil and let is sit for 10 minutes, There are also great methods that call for cooking at a much lower temp (250) for a munch longer time.

Waffle3

Not to be overly dramatic, but there are good reasons to be certain salmon and other fish come up to temperature.

Read this if you dare, otherwise just remember "140F".

http://seafood.ucdavis...

ChefOno raises an important point. Americans gobble down sushi now more than do the Japanese. But do the USA sushi cooks, working with raw fish, have the expertise to say, spot a parasite in the fish? Maybe some wormlike thing that could ruin your life for awhile?

Waffle3

I'm curious, do you know if the fish used is typically fresh or has it been frozen?