🔔
🔎

What is your favorite way of sweetening granola without any sugar?

I am making some granola for father's day and would like to do a very healthy version without any sugar. What do you like to add to make it sweet, but healthy and not too sweet for breakfast? Any additional tricks for making it sweet and delicious while keeping calories down?

asked by lloreen over 2 years ago
Stringio

Honey and granola are a perfect match in my opinion

Dried fruit and juice are also good sweeteners. I made just the kind of thing you might be looking for the other day--here's the link in case you find it helpful as a starting point! http://emmycooks.com/2012...

I use a combination of maple syrup, honey and molasses. This recipe also uses brown sugar, but you could eliminate it and increase the other sweeteners.
http://food52.com/recipes...

Baci1

I use maple syrup (mixed with a small amount of olive oil) for my granola, just enough to very lightly coat the oat mixture. And I add in a very tiny amount of salt (usually kosher which I always have in the kitchen). The salt seems to bump up the sweetness of both maple syrup and the dried fruit in the mixture. I like to add dried apricots and chopped dates since I'm not a big raisin fan. Finally, I had the "sweet" spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom (which I love).

Imag0055

Maple syrup works very well, although it may be expensive, given the poor season here in New England. (Yeah, I know--most of it comes from Quebec.) It's surprising how many granola recipes, including the olive oil and maple syrup one on this site (genius recipes), are cloying sweet. I use a variation on that one, but cut the syrup to 1/2 cup and the brown sugar to 1/4 cup without the slightest loss in deliciousness. A particularly good addition is dried blueberries (or dried cherries)---pricy in the store but not in bulk.

Wholefoods_user_icon

I like to add raisins, dates, and agave nectar to mine. Having the three of those in the mix is plenty sweet.

I use applesauce or cooked (or canned) and pureed pears to cut out the sugar and oil. I think it was in a 101cookbook recipe or Lebovit's There really isn't a pronounced "apple" or "pear" flavor, just sweetness.

Scan0004

A real food sweetener is date sugar, made from dates that are dried and granulated. I doesn't fully dissolve like processed sugars, including maple and agave (natural in a sense, processed in a different sense). You could use dates simmered in water too.

Open-uri.13930

First make the granola. Set aside. Now make flavored margaritas. Drink and enjoy! =)