How much vinegar in the pot got poached eggs

Poached eggs

asked by iris shame about 2 years ago
Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

A tablespoon of vinegar per litre, give or take. (1 Litre = approx 4 cups)

i prefer not to use any.with very fresh eggs no need. with older eggs i agree with the ratio above. i find the vinegar masks the flavor and toughens the egg. Also keept the water at a simmer. no boiling/bubbles.

Wholefoods_user_icon

When I worked a busy breakfast line, they used to put just a splash of vinegar in the pot to lightly layer the bottom of the pot before you add the water and bring it up to a simmer. They key, is a low simmer definatley.
It also helps to crack your egg in to a small bowl first and then pour it in and also make sure to use a slotted spoon to take it out of the water. I've heard that Vinegar helps keep the white held together to the yolk. But i do agree that too much vinegar can make the eggs taste bad, just go really light on it.

Open-uri.13930

Just in case you need a few hints: Use the freshest eggs possible. The whites stay together better. To make my egg whites effectively cling to the center I tip my eggs into a pot that I have seconds before; twirled the water with a large spoon. To ineffect make a vortex. This pulls the egg towards itself and clumps it. Nice thing about poached eggs, is you can make several and then reheat in a pan of warm water. Make sure your pan has at 3" of water. You don't want the egg to cling to the bottom of the pan.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet