I am using dried chickpeas that I soaked overnight- do I need to cook the chickpeas on the stovetop before roasting?

asked by Amanda P. about 2 years ago
Noz_photo

Are you making roasted chickpeas? You'll want to start with fully cooked, cooled, and dried chickpeas for that -- just soaking them means they'll still be starchy and hard to digest.

Wholefoods_user_icon

I've never tried putting them straight into the oven before, but I'm guessing it wouldn't work. Cooking them in water on the stovetop is what softens them. If you go straight to the oven, whatever small amount of water was absorbed during the soaking process will evaporate out into the oven and they'll just dry out.

Open-uri.13930

Yes! Simmer with a pinch of baking soda. ( a scientific reason I can't recall right now) Don't forget a pinch of salt. Maybe some herbs, thyme, oregano. Or a clove of garlic. Simmer for 2-3 hours, possibly more. Dried foods cook at varying rates.

Baci1

chefsusie, I think it's because baking soda softens the water (hard water) and allows the beans to soften more easily.