🔎

• 2

• 999

A question about a recipe: Chewy Chocolate Meringues

I have a question about the recipe "Chewy Chocolate Meringues" from Riki Shore. I have made meringues several times with highly variable results. When most successful, the results provide a meringue that has a delicate crunch on the outside and a tender chewy center. When least successful, the product is flattened, no crunch and it becomes sticky upon sitting. Although I love the concept, I have been discouraged and reluctant to continue trying these. I live in IN and I wonder if humidity is the culprit in my failed attempts.

Food52_06-05-12-3303

Humidity will certainly encourage stickiness. When your meringues are flat, though, there is a good chance that you had some egg yolk in your whites. The tiniest amount contains enough fats to cause the protein chains in the whites to literally slip apart and be unable to maintain loft when whipped. Also, be sure that your whip and bowl are absolutely clean. Persevere!

Image

I totally agree with boulangere. And I've found that a good pinch of kosher salt with the egg whites helps them beat up beautifully and quickly. I've never used the technique in the recipe you asked about; I'll have to try it.

This is the recipe I use for meringues:
http://food52.com/recipes...