A question about a recipe: Balsamic Strawberry Ice Cream and Dark Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches

Photo_1

I have a question about the ingredient "Dutch-processed cocoa powder, measured then sifted" on the recipe "Balsamic Strawberry Ice Cream and Dark Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches" from Kris & Anne of Bi-Rite Creamery. I don't have dutch-processed. I see that I can sub unsweetened cocoa powder by adding 1/8 tsp baking soda for every 3 T of cocoa powder. That just seems like A LOT in this. What do you think? How much should I add?

asked by chl0525 about 2 years ago
Hussie-icons_chl

By my calculations, that could be 4 tsp of baking soda... right?

I get 4 additional teaspoons as well. The recipe already calls for 4.5 teaspoons. I think you'll be fine with that. The cookies aren't intended to rise substantially, which would be the purpose of adding more baking soda to neutralize the higher amount of acid in natural cocoa powder, creating a greater amount of CO2 and therefore rising more.

Hussie-icons_chl

Yeah, the 4 + 4.5 had me rather concerned! I'm not going to add any additional BS. :) Thanks for the advice oh, wise one. We'll see how it goes.