🔎

heat wave dinner party advice

Hi, I had a plan to roast two guinea fowls for dinner on Thursday night with my parents and my brothers, but now that it is supposed to be 90 degrees out I am worried that having a hot oven is not such a good idea. I liked the idea of roasting because it is low-stress and easy -- also the guinea fowl are from my family farm and already in my possession so I don't have to go shopping. What do you think I should do? Should I just stick to my plan and not worry that the menu is more appropriate for a nippy fall day?

gary12401 added almost 2 years ago

I would roast them with indirect heat on the BBQ grill and some apple wood to give a nice smoke.

JORJ added almost 2 years ago

too bad my NYC apt doesn't have a grill! that is a great idea.

RachelS added almost 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

I also love roasting for it's simplicity and ease factor when having a dinner party. I personally think you can get away with it so long as whatever accompanies the guinea fowl is summery, light, and fresh. A salad, a few sliced tomatoes drizzled with olive oil, and maybe some corn off the cob quickly sautéed in a little butter and finished with some freshly chopped basil are a few things that could keep the meal from feeling too wintery while still satisfying everyone's appetites.

JORJ added almost 2 years ago

Thanks RachelS! That is my inclination, too!

Buddhacat
SKK added almost 2 years ago

Another possibility is to roast it in the coolest part of the day on Wednesday, and serve it cold.

JORJ added almost 2 years ago

that was another thing I was thinking. The only issue is that the fowl have so much fat under the skin I was worried that they wouldn't be as appetizing cold.

Buddhacat
SKK added almost 2 years ago

Hi JORJ, regarding cooking ahead - you could simply warm it up before you serve it if you cook the day before and are worried about the fat.