🔔
🔎

What is a good dessert to make on a wood stove?

I'm going "glamping" next week, and will only have a wood stove on which to cook dessert for 12 adults and 9 children. Any ideas for things that can be made stovetop only? Not smores - we'll be making those another day...

asked by sunnyluz over 2 years ago

Hard to tell what apparatus you are cooking on with this question. If its an actual stove that's fired with wood you can make anything - just keep a close eye on the temp.

I've never been there before, but it looks like no oven is available, just the woodstove used to keep the tent warm and an outside grill grate over camp fire.

Featherdown_stove

Pot bellied wood stoves don't really get hot enough to cook efficiently on. You could easily reheat a dessert sauce. Wood fires are hard to cook on as well - I would stick to grilled fruit, toasted/heated pre made cake slices, and melted or heated sauces you can add on top.

Baci1

I'm thinking pudding or custards are great desserts made on a stovetop. Lately, I've been hankering for a good tapioca pudding and Kheer (Indian rice pudding).

Waffle3

I was thinking "tapioca" as I was writing my answer below. I keep getting cravings for it, sometimes with some chocolate added to the pot.

Waffle3

The tools and equipment aren't really that limiting; the number of mouths combined with their ages are somewhat. I don't think I'd want to serve 21 from just that Dutch oven or I'd suggest cobbler or upside-down cake. How about pudding with fruit (fresh, canned or dried) or stuff-your own crêpes with any number of fillings?

Imag0055

Having cooked on a woodstove for the last 30 years, I'd concur with the suggestions for puddings, like a simple chocolate pudding that a child could stir. Woodstoves are a bit tricky to get used to, since the intensity of heat is so variable.