FREE Standard Shipping. TODAY: Up to 30% Off Gift Cards (limited supply). Shop Now »
🔔
🔎

What are some fun, different spices we could try in our homemade sausage? Beyond sage and fennel, guys!

asked by Kerita over 2 years ago
Smokin_tokyo

How about Shichimi? A seven spice combination in the Asian section.

Uruguay2010_61

One of my all time favorite sausages on the grill is boerewors (Afrikaner for Farmer Sausage) . . a South African treat. Usually made from fresh game, you can easily use a mixture pork and beef. Use salt, pepper, coriander, cloves, nutmeg, sugar and vinegar to help preserve them in the hot climate of SA. Make them the day before and let sit. Unbelievable on the grill.

Photo_on_2010-06-16_at_22.06_4

Smoked paprika for that chorizo style kick!

Not crazy original, but Penzeys has a brat seasoning that is good. I used it with ground turkey to give me the same flavor without all the fat. Although without the flavorful fat they aren't 'quite' the same. : (

Gator_cake

Check out the offerings from Olympic Provisions for some inspiration. The loukanika has equal parts cumin & garlic with some orange peel, and is fantastic. http://olympicprovisions...

There is an old adage that you don't want to see laws being passed or sausage being made. Sausage covers a multitude of sins as well numerous nationalities. It sounds like you want to make a pork sausage there are plenty of things to add (or leave out); chopped apple, cumin, thyme, citrus. One of my favorite sausages is the boudin of Louisiana made with pork liver and rice. Sooo delicious. When you get into things like German wursts and so on the technique changes because you may be poaching the sausage first prior to grilling it, and it will need to be ground super smooth.

110

I'll just mention allspice, and remark on what a great adage that is, pierino.