Can you recommend any Kohlrabi recipes

asked by Tien-Yueh,Kubach about 2 years ago
Lulusleep

I roast it like potato. Peel, cut, oil, season, bake.

I've had a bumper crop of kohlrabi this spring, so I've played around with it a lot.

I like it cut into slices or strips and roasted, as babytiger suggests--just had some for lunch today.

It's good in gratins, either by itself or mixed with potato. Excellent grated in slaws, though it tends to be quite wet and benefits from salting and draining before being dressed. Makes a nice vegetable side sliced thickish or cubed and steamed or boiled. Sliced very thin, it pickles well--I've had success with both kimchee-like preparations and ones more like beet pickles or bread-and-butter pickles.

If you grow your own or purchase some with the greens, the greens are delicious cooked like collards (the stems and central leaf viens are very fibrous, though, so best to remove them before cooking).

Basically, anything you can do with a radish or a turnip is worth a try with kohlrabi.

There are a few more elaborate ideas here:

http://www.guardian.co...

Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

It also works well as a cream soup.

One of the Silver Palate cookbooks has a recipe for kohlrabi fritters (not sure they call them that, tho)
They are tasty.

2013-06-17_13.33.26

Martha Stewart has a recipe for kohlrabi turnip slaw that uses the greens as well. It's wonderful and light. It is even better on day two. Enjoy!

Steam until just done. Cut in big julienne (just like french fries) and sautee in clarified butter. Serve with roasted peanuts and a touch of white soy sauce.

Dsc_0002_2

Love it raw. Cut into batons and sprinkle with salt. Also good with carrot-miso dressing/dip.