🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Ignacio Mattos’ Grilled Favas

Food52_06-12-12-5795

I have a question about the recipe "Ignacio Mattos’ Grilled Favas" from Genius Recipes. As a vegetarian, I don't use anchovies. Would capers or kalamata olives work?

asked by peggydf over 2 years ago
Me

I curious about this too. I typically use these exact substitutions for anchovies since my husband is allergic and want to make this tonight. I'm guessing they would work here too.

Both olives and capers are sources of umami--as are anchovies. I think they are reasonable substitutes.

Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

Yes, I think either olives (just about any kind) or capers would be nice as a substitute here. I would just chop them very finely, as you would with the anchovies, to help them cling to the fava beans after they're grilled.

Scan0004

I have also seen miso recommended to sub for anchovies.

Dsc_0002_2

Miso is an interesting suggestion, indeed. Perhaps not perfect here where the mouthfeel of some little salty morsels is adding to the experience, but definitely one I want to keep in my arsenal for future use in soups and sauces. Love it, thanks! Specific to this recipe, I would do super nonpareille capers, which are teeny-tiny, fry up fast and crisp, and require no mincing for this type of application.